The BMT Submarine Academy is a formalised development, training and experiential learning programme tailored to meet the needs of BMT’s submarine business and address the sustainability of Suitably Qualified and Experienced Personnel (SQEP).
The Academy aims to increase knowledge and experience across submarine design and in-service support interests, both in the UK and overseas. The programme accelerates the development of early career stage entrants to BMT and matures the skills of more experienced personnel from other domains or backgrounds.
By categorising learning outcomes and an individual’s ability in a recognised format, the Submarine Academy has aligned assessments with the UK Ministry of Defence submarine SQEP competency levels: ‘Awareness’, ‘Practitioner’ and ‘Expert’.
Emphasis is initially placed on achieving an ‘Awareness’ level of understanding. As individuals increase their knowledge and experience through greater responsibility on live project work and tailored training, they will progress from ‘Awareness’ level to ‘Practitioner’ and ultimately ‘Expert’ levels of competence.
Since its establishment, the BMT Submarine Academy has achieved the following:
- 1112 days of courses and learning have been undertaken
- 65 days of mentoring and coaching
- 14 delegates completed the UCL Submarine Design Course
- 7 delegates completed the MOD Nuclear Introductory Course
- 1 delegate completed a Nuclear Plant Fundamentals Course
- 12 delegates completed or are currently on secondment at the Submarine Support Management Group
- 24 delegates completed the BMT Submarine Design Course
- 5 delegates completed the Astute Acquaint Course
- 30 delegates Self Learning Modules have been completed.